Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Social Skills

Is it our (educators) responsibility to teach social skills to students with Aspergers Syndrome?

What are some strategies you have utilized to teach social skills in your classes?

14 comments:

  1. Before teaching social skills, I consider many factors such as, what skills are appropriate for student(s) age and cognitive level(s), why the skills are important, what skills (in particular settings) to teach, and in what order. If the students are old enough and the cognitive development is such that they understand the questions, I ask them to help determine what skills are important and to “define” those skills in their own words. These are some of the techniques/materials I utilize. They are listed in no particular order relative to importance or effectiveness:

    #Give body language"signs”(reminders) to encourage desired behavior, which are faded as the skill becomes part of student’s repertoire
    #Role play/model desired behavior
    #Checklists and rubrics (self-monitor and self-assessment
    #Finish the sentence and true/false handouts
    #Cartoons (some I provide, others are completed by student, who fills in overhead speech bubble)
    #Read related books
    #Read and critique related newspaper and magazine articles
    #Videos (Appropriate behavior---yes or no?)
    #Student serves as teacher for the skill
    #Brainstorm alternative behaviors to use, as when angry/frustrated
    #Provide immediate feedback when desired behavior is observed
    #After explaining the manner of assessment to student, set up a surprise situation to see how student responds (to a skill that has been taught)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a yes and no answer. yes meaning that it is our (educators) job to reinforce positive behavior strategies that have already been established by a parent/parents, and no in that it should not be our total responsibility. The foundation for behavior, regardless of any disability, begins in the home. It is a parents duty to educate themselves as much as possible in order to better help their child become a successfull individual. It is our job as educators to educate students, including teaching them behavior strategies, as well as teaching parents how to deal with their child with Asbeger's. It is the parents responsibility to work along side the educator to provide the best possible outcome.

    Some of the techniques used in my classroom are as follows:
    1. Use eye contact when addressing a behavioral situation.
    2. Make sure that the rules are "set in stone" and that there are no exceptions. EX. no cell phone use means no cell phone use - no exceptions.
    3. When addressing a situation, make sure that the student understands why he or she is being addressed and let he or she know why the behavior was undesirable and offer a solution as to what would be an appropriate behavior.
    4. We use proximity daily in the classroom to reduce "chatty" behavior. This works especially well with students who do not like their "personal space" to be invaded.
    5. In each class we have at least one or two students who exhibit very poor social skills. Although we call attention to poor behavior and try to correct it as best as possible, we also praise positive social skills with statements such as, "You're doing a great job on your assignment." Another technique that works well with some students is just eye contact with a smile, this lets them know that they're behaving how we want them to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe, to some extent, it is our job to teach social skills to students with Asperger's syndrome. Although, I believe that other individuals are needed to enable such a student to be successful, both socially and academically. When teaching social skills to a student with (AS), the involvement of teachers, parents, guidance counselors, the school psycologist, and administrators is needed to make any plans successful.
    I had the opportunity to talk to another teacher that has a grandson with (AS), and she informed me on some of the strategies that are implemented with him.
    -Charts that are carried home for teachers and parents to stay on the same page.
    -Using cues to keep personal space
    -Social skills group-organized by the guidance couselor.
    -Peer buddy-I really liked this idea
    -Assignments that correlate with his intellectual ability. (avoid boredom)
    -Schedules-letting the child know when he is switching classes or assignments
    -praise for simply, expected social skills

    Finally, one of the best ways to instuct teachers on the abundance of strategies that could be used to teach social skills to a student with (AS) is to recieve training in this area.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amen to Jane's comment regarding the fact that social skills should be taught in the home. It seems like a lot of our students aren't getting this at home though!

    Also...I feel that we do need to offer more social skills training for our students with aspergers...There just isn't time to do everything during the school day it seems.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree that social skills should be taught AND reinforced at home. Social skills is a big part of the education process for students with severe disabilities. The educational program for these students is based on life skills which includes the social skills as a big part of that program.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Asperger’s Syndrome
    Sue Porter

    Asperger’s Syndrome is considered by many to be primarily a social disorder. Students with AS can be very inflexible, and stress and anxiety abound when something unexpected occurs. Bullying is a problem. Less structured time in school can be very difficult – bus trips, lunch time, class changes--
    I am giving a qualified yes as to whether teaching social skills to students with Asperger’s Syndrome should be the responsibility of educators. The qualifier is Support! Support! Support! - for educators. With mainstreaming in place and my student with AS in regular classrooms, I cannot waltz up to every Reg. Ed. instructor and tell him or her it is their job to teach social skills. What I can do is focus on one social skill weakness that is interfering greatly with daily school events, and I can offer strategies to the teacher’s aide, and I can give ideas to the instructor to use during a teachable moment.
    The second idea is to use a Model Me Kids video segment as a warm up activity for the class that would be beneficial to all students. The videos demonstrate social skills by modeling peer behavior at school, on a play date, at a birthday party, on the playground, at a library, and more. Real children model and narrate each skill. As one mother stated, “I can coach and coach, but these videos make the pieces of the puzzle come together.” This video program is also used by Asperger’s social skills groups.
    We – the adults in the child’s life – want that child to be successful in life. Social skills interventions can be more important than educational modifications. This type of involvement provides the child with skills important to be successful in life.
    Some strategies that I have used to teach social skills in my classroom have included lessons from the formal curriculum, PDP—Professional Development Program. The Conflict Resolution lesson contained scenarios and role playing. I directed a social etiquette workshop where the students were served a formal meal, and they learned how to initiate and conduct appropriate dinner conversation, how to use the correct tableware, and the direct instruction of other social nuances.
    This year I have a student on my caseload with AS. I find that it is like assuming correctly that most folks cannot play the piano without lessons – direct instruction. Thus the same parallel holds true for my student. In the classroom, I sometimes have to give this student some tips/instruction for a situation that comes naturally for her peers.
    Yes, let’s help these students with Asperger’s Syndrome by teaching them social skills, which are in reality workplace readiness skills. Research suggests that it is the soft skills that are more important to employers, and these same skills or the lack thereof are the ones that lead to success or failure quicker than any technical ability/aptitude of the worker. Today’s teacher must instruct students with Asperger’s Syndrome to allow them to be socially savvy, and in turn to be successful in life,

    ReplyDelete
  7. I believe that social skills are necessary for parents to teach and reinforce at home. Experts say what children learn during their first few years can influence their social, emotional, moral and intellectual development throughout their life. This indicates that children are learning at home before they attend school. Teachers play a valuable role in teaching social skills at school, but, the most powerful place for learning for most students is the home, they learn from their parents.
    I agree with Jane that this is a yes and no answer. Teaching social skills should not be for any one environment to teach and reinforce. Social skills instruction should not be restricted to school alone nor the sole responsibility of the parent.
    A measure concern for parents of children with (AS) is the lack of appropriate social and communication skills which will greatly affect their development and ability to function in a normal environment. Teachers and parents need to work together to be successful.
    I have used many different techniques in my class.
    *co-operative learning- cleaning the kitchen area after we have prepared a meal
    *partnering students to interview each other and create small talk (on a chosen topic of
    their choice), interviewing for a job
    *provide a special space for the student to use if he/she needs to regroup
    *immediate praise for positive interactions with another student or teacher
    *structure – sticking to the rules of the class
    *social skills groups- playing a board game on social skills, helping another student on a
    class project,
    *social skills stories- How to take turns; eating in a restaurant, ordering a meal from a
    Menu, making an appointment, using the phone, hygiene, grocery shopping and meal
    Planning
    *role playing and modeling
    *theater games- to encourage imagination, being aware of body language, facial
    Expressions and tone of voice
    *preparing and eating meals together (Thanksgiving, birthdays or “just because”
    These are only a few that take place.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Parents and families should undoubtedly share the responsibility of teaching social skills, but we are also obligated to do so. Educators are, in effect, preparing all children for life after their school career. We are teaching our general education students skills that will help them get a job or pursue higher education after the K-12 years. Most of our general ed. students inherently understand what is termed as the "hidden curriculum"; the skills that help you get along with peers, bosses, co-workers, etc. Our Guidance Counselor recently told me about learning at a guidance conference that these kids, as adults, routinely lose jobs because they don't understand the intricacies of simply getting along. If we are to adequately prepare students with AS for life after K- 12, we have to make sure they know and understand how to get along.

    At the Elementary level, we have assisted students with AS in lunch bunch groups, where they learn turn-taking in a conversation, speaking on a topic that interests others, and asking questions that create rapport (how was your weekend, etc.) In Fourth Grade, we work to create a classroom community, where each member is responsible to each other as far as making sure everyone is making good choices, and supporting those "getting along" skills such as appropriate body language/facial expressions, making sure the way they speak to peers is respectful, and helping them learn how to try to resolve conflicts on their own.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I believe it is our (special educator) to teach social skills to children with Aspergers and Autism. Without behavioral interventions and a social skills program this population would flounder in the general curriculum. They benifit from positive role models. Some of the strategies I have used are the following:
    social stories, visual schedules, visual cues, peer tutoring, peer pairing, coopertive learning, videoing student to show appropriate behavior, role playing with an adult first and then a peer, using a mirror to show different emotions. Children with Autism would rather be in their own world. I feel it is our job to bring them out and give them the oppurtunity to become a functional person.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I believe it is our responsibility to teach social skills to students with Asperger's syndrome. I believe that parents should also teach and reinforce these social skills at home as well though. Some of the strategies that I've ultilized in order to teach social skills include the use of: visual schedules, peer buddies, social skills groups/lunch bunch groups, behavioral contracts, praise, social skills stories, and role playing/modeling.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree with Jane, that it is a yes and no answer. It should be the main responsibilty of the parents, but with the ever changing family dynamics, and rushed society that we live in today.....the time element is the major factor.
    I have students in my classes that come to school hungry on a daily basis and stay up all hours of the night that they can barely make through the school day without falling asleep in class. I can't even imagine their daily home life...I have nothing to compare it too. With that being said, we as educators should teach social skills, so that our students can succeed with their secondary educational goals.
    Some strategies I use are: social stories, role playing, peer sharing, board games, learning to care about yourself, and writing a note to a peer telling her/him what good qualities they have and why they would be a good friend.
    Always take the time to teach social skills when that "teaching moment occurs."

    ReplyDelete
  12. I approach this topic with a bit of a unique perspective being the mother of a 17 year old with Asperger's Syndrome as well as a special education teacher. It is impossible to even separate the two as it is impossible to say social skills should be taught at home or at school. The two should go hand in hand. I would not have been very successful teaching social skills to my son had I not had the school backing me up. The reverse is also true. As a teacher I can not have as much impact on a students behaviors unless I have the parent backing me up. It really needs to be a joint effort because these children need consistency above everything else.
    I agree also that time is also an issue though it should be noted that many of these kids pick academics up very quickly and so it's not unreasonable to use some of that time working on social skills especially when there are so many opportunities in the classroom to do this. A group project for example might have a social goal for the student with AS and he/she could still be helpful to the group.
    Also as he gets older and I try and make him less dependent on me for assistance, I tend to rely more on the school to help him with the little issues that come up. The difference is he asks me and I direct him back to school to get help or answers. He would not be at this point without both the school and home working together.
    My son asked me when he was 8 years old, "Mom, why is everything that is hard for others, easy for me and everything that is easy for others, hard for me." He was unaware of his diagnosis at that time, but he saw the differences.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Social Skills- SHANE

    When I first started teaching – six years ago – one of my students had Asperger’s. I had no idea what it was, much less how to deal with it or him. This student had almost zero social skills. He found it next to impossible to deal with groups of people larger than five or more. Obviously, this would include a class room environment. He would become disruptive, yelling and cursing, if he became overwhelmed. The strategies in place for him were to seek out his guidance counselor or case manager when these outbursts happened. His counselor and I both began to feel that the ability to leave the class room was going to negatively impact his ability to learn the information presented in class. Strategies that were put in place included the use of a small stress ball that he could keep in his pocket and squeeze when the need arose. It was also addressed in his IEP as a goal that he reduce the number of times he left the classroom to seek advice/help. A rewards program was put into place for him when he was able to reduce the amount of time he spent out of the classroom. For instance, he was given a drink and candy bar on Friday at lunch if he were able to spend an entire in the classroom without outbursts or leaving. He was given praise daily by teachers when the period was over if he had no outbursts or negative behaviors. When the week had gone well, time was set aside to discuss with him why it had been a positive week. Over time, he began to internalize the desire to do well and stay in class. His behavior ultimately improved and the time frame for rewards was thus moved out to two weeks, three weeks, and so on until it was not needed anymore. In short, in order for a student to learn in the class environment, yes social skills are a component that we as educators should set into the curriculum. And it need not be difficult: simply follow the golden rule. Do unto others and lead by example.

    ReplyDelete
  14. SOCIAL SKILLS- MELANIE
    I do believe it is our responsibility to teach social skills to students with Asperger's syndrome. I have found social stories to be a positive approach to teaching social behavior. Activities involving comic strip conversations provide illustrations for ongoing communication. Students with Asperger's syndrome, and other disabilities, often behave as they do because they can't understand the quick exchange of information in actions and/or conversations. The challenge is to understand the student's perspective and to develop social stories that reassure the student and describe specific events that he or she encounters throughout the school day.

    Promoting group activities that require social interaction works for my students. One activity involves them choosing, from a hat, a social activity, with a conflict. They are paired with another student and required to have a three minute discussion about the topic – brainstorming. They are provided with 1 clue to utilize for solving the problem. They must use that clue as a guide to develop a solution for the conflict.

    ReplyDelete